Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

blue atlas cedar again!!

4 posters

Go down

blue atlas cedar again!! Empty blue atlas cedar again!!

Post  moyogijohn Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:10 pm

I have found a cedar with a base almost 3 in that was sawed off at 2 ft. i want to keep this one alive and make a good bonsai ...i would like to have information about pruning the branches ,,wireing also the right time for the roots...this is nursery stock and i am sure has a pot of tight roots filling the container!! thank you all i think this one will make a nice tree.. take care john and thanks

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

blue atlas cedar again!! Empty Re: blue atlas cedar again!!

Post  Kev Bailey Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:53 pm

Cedar can be very touchy about root work. If you do too much at once they sometimes give up the ghost. Do it a little at a time, every year in spring until you can eventually get it into a bonsai pot. I haven't styled one, yet, so I'll leave wiring and pruning advice to others.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:33 pm

THANK YOU,,KEV ,,I will wait a little for more advice take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  GerhardGerber Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:44 am

Thanks for the reminder, I have forgotten seeds in the fridge and as soon as these last cold fronts pass we should be heading into spring! Laughing

GerhardGerber

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:30 pm

In my experience - which amounts to little other than working with one large blue cedar bonsai and one shohin - I'd agree with Kev that little and often with the roots is best. But also make sure they dont get over wet or over dry as they don't seem to like either of those - at least not in the west of Scotland.

Regarding wiring, I have had to do very little wiring on the shohin tree after the initial positioning. On the large tree I found the branches surprisingly bendable and reasonably prepared to hold shape. And another but - what I found was where branches had been shielded from sun and air by other branches, the hidden ones tended to get almost mushy. I concluded that this was a tree that likes a lot of air circulating around it and doesn't particularly like my damp climate.

Purely my observations on how my two trees responded in my garden. I'd be interested to hear how that compares to others' experiences.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:33 pm

FIONA,,Thank you much for your reply!! i have done nothing to the roots except scrach the soil aroung to find a base...wireing this tree is hard because of all the small needles!!! thank you for replying take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down