Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JUVENILLE & ADULT JUNIPER FOLIAGE

5 posters

Go down

JUVENILLE & ADULT JUNIPER FOLIAGE Empty JUVENILLE & ADULT JUNIPER FOLIAGE

Post  my nellie Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:16 pm

Last year I have bought a nursery juniper which I do not know the exact species.
It is in training of course and it used to have scale like foliage.
This spring its new foliage is needle like.
Why is that happening?
I think that scales are the adult foliage form and needles are the juvenille form. Do I make a mistake? Please correct me if I'm wrong...
Thank you!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

JUVENILLE & ADULT JUNIPER FOLIAGE Empty JUVENILLE & ADULT JUNIPER FOLIAGE

Post  Guest Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:24 pm

You are quite right. Adult foliage is scale like and Juvenile is spikey. Most if not all Junipers exhibit juvenile foliage at some point but some are much easier to trigger than others. San Jose Junipers just have to be looked at in a funny way and they start sprouting spikey foliage. Hard pruning, repotting and vigorous feeding can all trigger juvenile growth.

Back to top Go down

JUVENILLE & ADULT JUNIPER FOLIAGE Empty Re: JUVENILLE & ADULT JUNIPER FOLIAGE

Post  fiona Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:29 pm

Hi Alexandra. As Will says, you are quite right about the juvenile and adult foliage being different on junipers. As we don't know what species you have, here is a pic of the difference as it is seen on one of my own junipers.

JUVENILLE & ADULT JUNIPER FOLIAGE Junipe16

You can see the young growth at the front and the adult foliage at the back of the shot.

No need to panic. Hope this helps.

Fiona

btw, Will - that's the tree I PMed you about last autumn - the one that was going brown at the tips. As you can see it has made pretty much a full recovery. Phew! And Alexandra, if ever there was a time when I was glad to see juvenile foliage coming through, this was it. This is probably my favourite tree.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:45 pm

Thank you for your prompt answers!

will baddeley wrote:... ... Hard pruning, repotting and vigorous feeding can all trigger juvenile growth.
All three are implemented in my case, Will.
Well..., pruning was not hard though.

fiona wrote:... ... And Alexandra, if ever there was a time when I was glad to see juvenile foliage coming through, this was it. This is probably my favourite tree.
Haaaa haaaa, the same goes for me Fiona!
Because this juniper has gone under big stress last summer as well as during the repotting two months ago.
As fas as the species is concerned, I can say that it is identical to your photo. Which is...??? Smile
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:03 pm

my nellie wrote: As fas as the species is concerned, I can say that it is identical to your photo. Which is...??? Smile

Hahah! Good question. I had to ask the same thing last year and this was the result:

JUNIPER ID

At least the pics will give you a better indication of whether yours is the same species.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:48 pm

Hi
Maybe it is good to say something about what to do with that juvenile foliage (stress foliage).
Myself i pinch it partly back, but only when the tree takes over with adult foliage.
After several times pinching further back and when there is enough adult foliage, i cut back till there.
But i always give the tree the time to get some vitality out of the stress foliage first.
Never pinch the stress foliage away when it shows, because it will cause new stress foliage.
Maybe the experts can ad or correct me if i am wrong.
regards, Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:59 pm

Thank you, too, Sunip!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

JUVENILLE & ADULT JUNIPER FOLIAGE Empty Juvenile and Adult Foliage

Post  bonsaisr Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:35 pm

As far as I can tell, most members of the Cupressaceae exhibit this trait to some extent. Baby seedlings of arborvitae & some of their relatives start out with needles. Seedlings of Italian cypress look so different you might think it's another species. It's a snapshot of evolution in process.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:06 am

bonsaisr wrote:As far as I can tell, most members of the Cupressaceae exhibit this trait to some extent. Baby seedlings of arborvitae & some of their relatives start out with needles. Seedlings of Italian cypress look so different you might think it's another species. It's a snapshot of evolution in process.
Iris

More likely a protective measure against being eaten I think Iris. albino

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:38 pm

Although it is a product of evolution, it is more of an example of metamorphosis, Like Flounder.
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down